IN JUST UNDER 10 DAYS… THE CROSSFIT OPEN BEGINS!
It will be guaranteed chaos, but I wanted to let you know what I was thinking as general scheme of how things should go.
Workouts will be announced around 0400 CET on Fridays. I will have a rough plan before the end of Friday how we will try to tackle it on Saturdays. I’ll send that to Mike to post in two places: on the CFA website and the CFA Facebook (the page, not the group). We will do the Open WODs on Saturdays instead of the normal 1030 class.
Saturdays at 1000 we will begin with an overview of the WOD, review movement standards for the judges, lay out the timeline for heats, and Coach John will talk strategy for WOD success. The goal is to start the first heat no later than 1030. ATHLETES must enter scores before 1700 PST on Mondays (0400 CET on Tuesday). I will then validate them and they will appear in the rankings. I do not enter your score for you, YOU DO.
I’m tracking the following individuals will require a certified judge: Juliane, Marc, Stephenie, Stefan, John, Monte, Jamison, Julie, and Matt S. In lieu of a certified judge, you can videotape your attempt and upload it for verification… this or a certified judge is only required if you believe you may make it to regionals. Everyone else’s judge will be well versed in the movement standards, will judge fairly, and with good sportsmanship. The biggest difference with a certified judge is that they are also liable (along with the athlete) for any intentional or unintentional errors and can be disqualified. If anyone else thinks they will need a certified judge or if you have obtained your judges cert, please let me know.
- Priority will be to manage heats for those who need certified judges (right now, we know of THREE, possibly FOUR certified judges). If you have a time constraint on a Saturday and need to be late or get in the first heat, I need to know.
- Judges will be available on Saturdays. It is up to YOU to arrange an alternate time to do the WOD if Saturday doesn’t work. Questions about who can judge you, ask me. If you do your WOD sometime other than Saturdays, I’ll also have to give you some additional instructions for your scoresheet.
- If you are a Level 1 or are a seasoned Crossfitter, you may be asked to help judge and many of you may be asked to help with things like running the clock, collecting scoresheets, DJ-ing. But because you’re all awesome, I know nobody will have issues with this. I’ll try to have a list of random tasks ready on Friday evenings.
- By 1000 Saturday, you should have arrived at the box, put your shoes and lucky underwear on, and be somewhat warmed up. We love you all, but we also love our Saturdays, we don’t want to be dicking around until 1700. Box will be open by 0930 for sure. There will be over 25 athletes wanting to show their stuff, we will need to be efficient.
- If you are taping your workout, it is up to YOU to bring a recording device and appoint someone to run it.
Let me know if you have questions!
My email is firstname.lastname@example.org for any of the requested information.
The 2013 CrossFit Open is right around the corner. Many of us are excited as the first WOD release approaches. This year, we are proud that we have so many of our members and coaches participating. If you’ve not yet signed up and wish to…there is still time!
CFA will be holding the CrossFit Open WODs every Saturday as an “event.” This is so great for our community! While it will be a long day for everyone, it’s going to be a lot of fun for us to work together.
REGULAR SATURDAY WODs
From March 9th to Saturday April 6th, all Saturday WODs will start at 9:00 am instead of 10:30 am. This is to support the athletes participating in the Open.
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
Even if you’ve not registered for the Open, we need your support! There is a lot to do to make this work and we’d love to have your support. If you can help, contact the member of the team below or fill out the form at the end of this post.
Event Lead & Organization: Tammy
Head Judge & Organization: Nick
Clean Up Crew: Grace & Tina
Equipment Setup: Marco & Don
Children / Babysitting: Tammy
Cheering Squad: EVERYONE @ CFA!!
Some important information:
- Saturday WODs will start at 9 am and complete by 10 am. It is important that the area required for the Open is vacated immediately to allow the volunteers the opportunity to set up. Volunteers from the Saturday WOD to help set up the athlete area would be appreciated.
- Dedicated Athlete / Judges Area: The actual WOD will determine where the athlete / judges areas are. We will be switching between the “stretching / martial arts area” and the “original weight area.” We will announce the Athlete / Judges area on the Friday prior to the Saturday WOD.
- Judges and Athletes need to be at the box starting at 9:30 am for the briefing of movements and any important information they need to have prior to beginning the WOD. The athletes will then have time to warm up. To get into the rotation of when you will WOD, it will be on a FIRST COME FIRST SERVE basis for the “heat” lists. Tammy will have the lists.
- Volunteers for equipment set up will need to start during the time the Judges and athletes are reviewing information.
- Spectators: we are happy to have as many spectators as possible at the event. They must stay in the designated areas and not interfere in the areas for the athletes. Children will be in a designated area with supervision.
SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS for the CrossFit Games Open
Gym Rules for the Box apply. In addition, the following will be in effect.
- CFA will provide a competent familiar person to oversee the children in the designated “Children’s Area.”
- This person will keep the children in the correct area and report any issues to the parent or guardian who must deal immediately with the issue at hand.
- If you would like to bring your child(ren) to CFA during the Games there will be a 10 Euro per family per Saturday charge as compensation / sitting fee.
- Please provide your child with adequate forms of entertainment to last the duration of your stay, i.e. video games, books, movie player, non-messy arts like coloring, puzzles, etc.
- Children are not permitted to be in the designated athlete / judges areas during the Open. It is important that parents / guardians review the rules and expected behavior with their children prior to the events.